[SECC] K4JRB status update

Dave Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Mon Jun 12 19:00:30 EDT 2017

hello gang,

The Rohn 45 tower project is going slow mainly due to my recovery from colon cancer chemo.  I have the tower and began removing some of the rust and got plenty of sand paper to try and continue.  I will use galvanizing spray on the tower.  A ham in Birmingham is willing to trade me another straight section of Rohn 45 for the Rohn 45AG pointed top section which cannot be used with the normal 2" OD mast. I am looking for away to get the section to him and the 45 straight section to me.

I have the Cushcraft 2 el 40 meter beam hardware and one piece of aluminum replaced.  Wald N4PL helped remove the broken aluminum from the driven element center insulator. The 40 meter beam uses an overhead strut (they call it a bridge) so I need to get the mast to install it. The Tennedyne T-10 boom, stub, and coax feed was completely installed by Paul W6XA. I have the elements laid out and need to install them into the booms. Paul says it was working well so he does not think I need any tuning. I just am looking for a way to get the beams up 8 to 10 feet to test them out for SWR.  If anyone has ideas please let me know. Maybe a roof top 3 legged roof tower or a fiberglass construction platform might work and I will rent if need be. I don't think I can use tree limbs and rope in my yard.

I am on the air with my old FT-980 and newer FT-1000MP Mk V using either a Carolina 80 beam (special version of the Carolina Windom) and a old Mor-Gain 80 to 10 vertical dipole.  In the CQ WPX I worked Eu DX on 10, 15, 20 and 40
and a FO8 on 17 with the Carolina and either 140 watts or 200 watts all but one on first call. I hear well on the Vertical dipole and did work a KH7 on 75 SSB early one morning (me S8 with 100 watts) and ZS6CCY also S8 barefoot.

I may not be able to get everything together before it gets too hot to have Ryan put up the tower.

I have two new 3-500's to put in a LK-550NT and need to hook up the Al-82 I got several years ago from W4AMP. I have it set up to work 17 and 12 after I sold the Henry 2K.

I will be selling 3 items in a few weeks: a W9IIX ladder mast that is 19 feet long with welded steps, a Dentron DTR-2000L with a 8877 that I used on low bands, and an Icom 740 with built in power supply and hand mic.

I am still active with the DXAC and we are working on a task from the ARRL Board of Directors.

73 Dave K4JRB
DXAC SE Division ARRL

DXCC Overall 378