[SECC] Contesting preps

Kevan Nason knason00 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 14:27:20 EST 2017

Fellow SECC folk.

One thing I still do before a major contest is revisit contesting tips I've
read on how to be more competitive. I only enter a few contests a year so
doing that refreshes my memory on techniques that work and helps me prepare
mentally for the upcoming event. One of the places I still frequently go
back to is EI8IC's web page. Don't know if any of you have been there or
not but he has a contesting section that you can drill down to.   (Thanks
Tim!)

Early on while contesting I would read stuff like this and feel
overwhelmed. So each contest I would pick three or four ideas that made
sense to me, write them down on sticky notes, and post them around the
operating station. My eye would run over them now and then during the
contest and remind me to try them out. Eventually, they either became
second nature and I replaced them with new ideas or I threw them out as not
being very effective for me and found something new to try. Doing that
helped improve my scores.

One of my favorite topics of his is titled "Contest Operating Tips". It has
been pretty useful to me.

http://www.mapability.com/ei8ic/contest/operate.php

Unfortunately, I've been sick and neglected the house and antenna work for
the last few weeks so I'm not playing this weekend. Y'all have fun!

Kevan
N4XL