[SECC] CWopsT NJ8J LP 0300Z 8-2-2018

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Fri Aug 3 16:08:47 EDT 2018

> On Aug 2, 2018, at 12:17 AM, Ben Coleman NJ8J <nj8j at benshome.net> wrote:

> One lesson learned for the next time - when S&Ping from a
> Bedsprings Brigade level station, don't start the contest searching at
> the lower end of the band - most people do, and you won't be able to
> compete with the other callers, meaning most Qs will take several calls
> to get though, if you get through at all.  Start out higher in the band,
> where callers tend to be more sparse, and hit the bottom of the band
> later, when those running are now looking for new ones.

I always do this. This was a piece of advice that I think Randy, K5ZD gave me back in 1993 — try to be places that most other people aren’t, so your LP signal will show through.

And, over time, I’ve learned to be less patient with calling. There’s always someone else on the band who isn’t as busy.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
Web: http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901