[SECC] ARRL Censure of N6AA and By Laws Changes

Dennis McAlpine dbmcalpine at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 7 13:08:13 EST 2018

If you are not familiar with this situation, I urge you to look at some of
the info available on line at numerous websites, including CQ, about this
issue.  If anyone has trouble finding info, let me know and I will post some
good sources.  The controversy revolves mainly around a recently instituted
Code of Conduct put in place by the ARRL BOD which has been used to censure
well-known contester and Pacific Division director, Dick Norton, N6AA, for
allegedly disagreeing with an ARRL BOD decision.  There are a number of
proposals, mainly by N2YBB, Hudson Division director, for additional changes
which would consolidate power at the BOD more among non-elected (by members)
officers of the BOD and further limit the ability of directors to discuss
any issues before the BOD, any decisions made by the BOD and the position of
individual directors on various decisions.  Clearly, these moves would limit
the transparency of the ARRL BOD and its actions.

I, for one, disagree with these proposals and have so informed the Roanoke
Division director of my viewpoint.  I urge each of you to review the
information available and let your director know how you feel, either pro or
con.  A number of other large contest clubs, including the YCCC, NCCC, PVRC,
and FCG have already sent letters to all the directors urging they not adopt
such changes, among other things.  A number of other clubs, including the
FRC, are expected to follow suit.  I propose that the SECC which represents
a large number of active contesters in this area join their brethren and
request SECC leadership to do the same.

In this case, silence is not a virtue, so please speak up.

73,
Dennis, K2SX
Pawleys Island, SC