[SECC] ARRLDX SSB NJ8J SOAB LP

Ben Coleman NJ8J nj8j at benshome.net
Sun Mar 4 21:32:01 EST 2018

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: NJ8J
Operator(s): NJ8J
Station: NJ8J

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 03:16

  160:
   80:
   40:  15     12
   20:  31     22
   15:   9      9
   10:   2      2
-------------------
Total:  57     45  Total Score = 7,695

Equipment:
Alinco DX-77T
LDG AT-11MP Automatic Antenna tuner

Antennas:
formerly a 110 ft OCF Dipole fed with ladder-line, now an end-fed zepp
10 Meter Half-Square

Logger: N1MM+

An explanation on the antenna description above:  I've just moved back
into my house after several months staying with Bill and Theresa (due to
health problems - I've actually managed to get in a little operating a
few times I had to come back to my house to pick up some things.  I
didn't mention my situation back then on the theory that it's not wise
to announce to the world via the internet that your house is
unoccupied).  During the cold snap awhile back, a tree fell down, not
landing on anything in particular, but having the effect of breaking off
the longer wire on the 110' ladder-line-fed OCF dipole, right at the
feed point (thus turning it into a fairly short end-fed zepp) and losing
one of the supports for the 10 Meter Half-Square (turning it into a ....
P with the underbar missing, fed on the left side, if you can picture
that).  I was able to get the support rope for the Half-Square back up,
but given that my back yard is now a forest, badly in need of treatment
with a bush hog, I haven't been able to deal with the
OCF-dipole-now-an-end-fed-zepp.

My poor beleaguered LDG tuner was only able get anything approaching a
match on the OCF-dipole-now-an-end-fed-zepp on 40M, but it can manage to
match the Half-Square on 20, 15, and (naturally) 10.  This is
non-optimal, even for Bedsprings Brigade Manor, but at least I could get
heard (sometimes).

Got in some operation here and there this weekend between doing some
stuff for work and starting in on getting the house back in shape.  Good
to back on the air.

Ben
Ben Coleman nj8j at benshome.net
 "I love the way Microsoft follows standards.  In much the
same manner that fish follow migrating caribou."
                                            Paul Tomblin