[SECC] This Week End on the Air

John Laney k4bai at att.net
Fri Dec 27 16:10:37 EST 2019

Just a quick reminder. There are at least two fun events for this weekend.

The Radio Amateurs of Canada (RAC) Winter Contest is the 24 hours of
Saturday UTC.  That means 7 PM EDT today until 6:59 PM EDT tomorrow.
This is SSB and CW on 160 through 10 meters.  Exchange for us is RS(T)
plus serial # (begin with #1).  Canadians will send their province or
territory instead of a QSO #.  There is usually a lot of activity in
this contest and you can work everyone, not just Canadians.  Of course,
the Canadians give you more points and the only multipliers.  This can
be a lot of fun for a few minutes up to the whole 24 hours.

The Stew Perry Top Band Contest will be CW only on 160M only from
Saturday morning until Sunday morning.  Any time the band is open
Saturday afternoon until after the band closes on Sunday morning will be
contest time for us.  Exchange is the four digit Maidenhead Grid Square.
  For example, for me, it is EM72.  I think if you look up your call on
QRZ.com and go to "Details," it will give you the Grid Square for your
FCC mailing address.  Also, for SECC members, our grid squares the best
we know them appear on the SECC roster on the home page.  This is a
distance based contest and we don't know the results until the logs are
matched up and distances figured by a computer.  160M CW will be pretty
busy when open this weekend.  160M was hopping Thursday night with DX
from all over Europe.  I worked SM3EVR with my compromise antenna.  If
you run LP or QRP, you give the stations you work extra points for
hearing you and there may be a power multiplier also.

For those who are inclined to work high speed DX on CW, the Russian
Sponsored RAEM contest runs from 0000 to 0900Z Sunday (starts Saturday
night).  You send QSO# plus your latitude and longitude.  For example:
00125N130O.  I just made up the lat and long, but you should get the
idea.  "O" is for East.  Otherwise the directions are N, S, W, as you
might expect.  If you don't have 160M capability, this could be fun, but
unless something breaks here for 160M, I will miss most, if not all, of
this one.

Have a good weekend and e-mail me if you have any questions.

73, John, K4BAI.