[SECC] Fw: GaQP AA5JF M/S HP

Andrew Goss amgoss05 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 12 09:29:15 EDT 2020

 What a great time! My first time in the GA QSO party. Thanks to Jeff and John for organizing it, and a special thanks to everyone who who operated the bonus stations. This was a blast, and I'm already making plans for next year. I didn't fully realize until it was late evening the importance of those for the score, and missed W4NT on most of the bands.
This was only the 2nd or 3rd time my teenage son Sage (KO4BUR) got on the air, and he ran our station for >4 hours on phone. He began to get comfortable, and he loved it. A very big thank you to everyone who called him.I think this will keep him in the hobby. And he even broke a pile-up: W4AN (KT4ZB) in Savannah, about 100 miles away. It took him a few tries. In our defense, there were a lot of callers. :) There might be a lesson here: I'm afraid the lesson is that many of the next generation's active HF hams will be the children of current operators. But as I'm sure has been observed many times, these state QSO parties are great for introducing young/new operators to contesting. Because let's face it: S&P in the CQ SSB with a modest station set-up just isn't that fun, compared to running for hours with lots of callers, possible yesterday even with a modest station. A colleague at work just got licensed, and he has a simple dipole in his attic, but he put Columbia County on the air yesterday, and had a great run on 40M last night

Maybe the participation was unusual this year, but there was a lot of activity. I was going to switch to my club call late in the day, but didn't, as there continued to be activity, and I started to get hungry for the final few multipliers (plus the bonus stations). I also found that my simple tri-bander at 20 feet just doesn't hold its own on 20M, while using the 160M inverted V on 40M seems to be a great antenna. I live in a historic part of Augusta, and don't think I can get away with raising the tribander without running into trouble.

Not sure if there was much activity from this part of the state. Louis (also Richmond County) was on, plus my colleague in Columbia County -- I heard Burke County would be on. Would be great if we could find a way to get some of the counties surrounding metro Augusta on the air.

Thanks again, 73, Andy AA5JF

   ----- Forwarded Message ----- From: webform at b4h.net <webform at b4h.net>To: "3830 at contesting.com" <3830 at contesting.com>; "amgoss05 at yahoo.com" <amgoss05 at yahoo.com>Sent: Sunday, April 12, 2020, 7:57:27 AM EDTSubject: GaQP AA5JF M/S HP
                     Georgia QSO Party - 2020

Call: AA5JF
Operator(s): AA5JF KO4BUR
Station: AA5JF

Class: M/S HP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:    9      1
  80:  93    61
  40:  222    221
  20:  31    32
  15:
  10:
    6:
--------------------
Total:  354    315  CW Mults = 47  Ph Mults = 47  Total Score = 161,116

* Score includes 7 bonus stations

Operated with M/S with my oldest son KO4BUR who just got his license, and this
was his first experience with a contest. He made 98% of the phone QSOs. Very fun
to share this. Having OM2VL call him on 20, and then me explaining where that
was, was the highlight. Lots of fun overall, although we never had much luck
getting much going on 20M, either phone or CW. 40M just kept giving, where in
the last 20 minutes, two West Coast multipliers called me on CW. I'm new to this
contest, but was really impressed with the participation -- thank you everyone
for sharing part of your weekend with us in Georgia.