[SECC] Why can't folks get my call right?

Ben Coleman NJ8J nj8j at benshome.net
Tue Dec 1 20:31:50 EST 2020

On 11/30/2020 9:37 PM, Bill Coleman wrote:
> But what drives me crazy is that on phone, people don’t appear to be able to copy my callsign.

People can copy my call sign, but something I get on a regular basis
when S&Ping on phone are replies that go something like "November Eight
(pause) oh, November Juliette Eight Juliette".  It's like they are
somehow conditioned that the second character of an N call should be the
call area, and it takes a few seconds for their brains to catch up with
the fact that that's not what I said.

I normally use phonetics of either Norway Japan Eight Japan, or November
Juliette Eight Juliette.  The first is shorter, and (to my subjective
ear) seems to have slightly more punch.  I often use it in my initial
call to a runner.  Once I've got their attention, if I've only got a
marginal signal at the other end (not an unusual situation here at
Bedsprings Brigade Manor), I've found that the second is decidedly more
copyable.

On CW, the issue is more like getting back a N1?, and wondering if he's
really responding to an N1, or if he just heard my NJ as N1 (which does
happen, and now that I think of it, it could be "the second character of
an N call should be the call area" raising its head again).

Ben
Ben Coleman nj8j at benshome.net
  "I love the way Microsoft follows standards.  In much the
same manner that fish follow migrating caribou."
                                             Paul Tomblin