[SECC] New Beverage at W8FN

Randy Farmer w8fn at windstream.net
Sun Dec 6 15:44:09 EST 2020

Since I don't have a transmit antenna for 160 meters, I spent some time
just listening in the 160 contest. Friday night I heard several EU
stations quite well, but I was plagued by the noise problem, which shows
up as ugly humps of noise with about 60 kHz spacing (a sure sign of crap
from a switch mode power supply). Saturday night I went to work and
discovered to my relief that it was self-inflicted. It turns out that
the noise was coming from my 12V accessory power supply, which does have
a SMPS in it. I've been using that same supply for many years to run all
my station accessories without noticing the noise before. For the first
time, my receive noise level on 160 meters is low enough to make the
noise very obvious. I fixed the problem by ripping out the cheap
internal supply and wiring in a Samlex SEC-1235 supply I had lying
around as a standby. With the noise gone, it became easy to hear weak
signals all across the band. I didn't stay up late, but it seemed the EU
signals were few and far between Saturday night.

After lots of listening and switching directions on the NE-SW Beverage
over the last week, I'm even more impressed with its performance. As a
matter of fact, I now have a second kit on order to put up another one
running SE-NW, and I'm busily building a switch box to give me
switchable coverage in four quadrants.

73...
Randy, W8FN