[SECC] K4BAI Fox Hunt Announcement 40M Tonight

John Laney k4bai at att.net
Tue Feb 18 08:32:40 EST 2020

Hello all:  Very sorry to be a bit late getting out this announcement.
In addition to Drew, K9CW, I am to be a fox on 40M tonight.  0200-0330Z
Wed.  Frequency range:  7030-7050 kHz.  I will start off split listening
up 1 to 1 1/2 kHz.  I hope there will be a pile up.  After the pile up
drops down, I will stop sending "UP" and will be listening on my
transmit frequency.  My exchange will be:  real RST, GA, JOHN, 5W.  I
will be using a TS590SG at 5W and a 40M dipole.  My zepp is available to
be used if it will help, but the middle of the insulated wire is in a
pine tree limb and that end is only 8' above the ground rather than its
usual 50'.  It loads well, but doesn't seem to receive any signal as
well as the dipole, so i"ll only use it as a last resort for signals I
can't otherwise copy.

The weather forecast for the hunt period is for rain.  We are forecast
to have possible storms beginning about 0300Z.  The forecasts usually
err on the side of the start time and the prediction is seldom later
than it actually starts, so I am optimistic about being able to get the
full hunt in tonight before the lightning starts.  But, it will no doubt
be noisy.

Remember to work only the two foxes, your power must be no higher than 5
watts, and do not spot the foxes' frequencies.

Good luck to all.  73/72, John, K4BAI.