[SECC] FT-8 in VHF Contest

Neal Sulmeyer Neal at K4EA.NET
Thu Jun 11 10:55:57 EDT 2020

​I'm with all of you on this.  FT-8 is NOT a contest mode.  you are rate limited at 1 QSO/minute or FT-4 at 2 QSOs / minute.  No skill required other than ability to click on your screen.  However, I understand the ARRL's view to attract more hams into contesting.

Another issue is that the WSJT/JTDX and other programs do not search you contest log (i.e. N1MM) so if you worked a station on on SSB or CW it will not show as a dupe in WSJT/JTDX potentially wasting huge amounts of time.

Since I will be at my new remote stations in Cloudland this weekend and my 6 and 2 antennas are still at my home QTH,  when I do get on it will remote from my remote station to my home station (lol!)  I also have some serious latency issues with the internet connection in Cloudland so my ONLY RELIABLE mode is FT-8/4.  Sad, but that's the facts.

If you don't know, Charlie, NF4A is our division representative on the CAC.  Be sure to express your opinions to him.  I'm not sure how much sway he has, but it is worth the effort.

Neal, K4EA