[SECC] Antennas for Those Who Can't Put Up a Tower

Kevan Nason knason00 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 15:09:59 EDT 2020

Jeff,

A disclaimer... I'm not very experienced at hardware.

First thought was the wire arrays you mentioned. Sounds like you have that
ability. Seem to recall an ARRL compendium article, or maybe it was in QST,
about a guy who built a 15 mtr beam he hauled up and down. Something like
that? Rick might give you some advice on stringing a low band log periodic
between two trees   ;-)  Those tips might apply to using a line to support
other types of arrays. Doing a delta loop beam would probably play well at
65 ft for 40 and up.

Secondly, if I couldn't do a tower and had your space I'd probably take a
close look at a steerable elevated vertical array. I liked the data and
advice N6LF gave about using more than 4 elevated radials and putting them
higher than normally thought of as needed. He said doing that adds a dB or
two and minimizes external influences. Can't do much about far field loss
though. I've kicked the idea around of trying a bob tail. My property line
runs broadside to EU.

It ain't much gain, but some here in SC have jumped on the Super Loop band
wagon. They are happy, but I can't help but think what you have now is just
as good or better.

Kevan N4XL