[SECC] Fw: ARRL FD AA5JF 1D HP

Andrew Goss amgoss05 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 28 17:15:09 EDT 2020

 That was a lot of fun! I've never been able to run like that before from the house (and doubt I will ever again). My teenage son's best hour on phone was 107 (!), with him just licensed a few months ago, and only previous experience on the radio in the GA QSO party -- I logged so that did help. I had at least two 90+ hours on CW, which is probably 50% better per hour than I've ever done before. I realize I'm not going to win anything with that, but it was quite exciting for me, especially realizing how far I've come since last FD. I've got a system on the keyboard now, and need far fewer repeats. 500W and a tribander at 20 feet makes you comparatively loud on field day--usually we are drowned out on 20M. 15M was good, and I snagged a few 10M contact this morning with what I guess was a sporadic E opening to TX. 2 QSOs on 160M, both at 1am local time. Others times I check I heard nothing.

Augusta club canceled, although Columbia County was out at one of the parks.

One digital QSO, but that was RTTY, as I had set up MMTTY to copy the W1AW bulletin, and figured I'd have a token digital contact. Score doesn't include the bulletin, or the 40 points for youth contacts (my younger son made one QSO).

Andrew AA5JF

   ----- Forwarded Message ----- From: webform at b4h.net <webform at b4h.net>To: "3830 at contesting.com" <3830 at contesting.com>; "amgoss05 at yahoo.com" <amgoss05 at yahoo.com>Sent: Sunday, June 28, 2020, 3:13:40 PM EDTSubject: ARRL FD AA5JF 1D HP
                     ARRL Field Day - 2020

Call: AA5JF
Operator(s): AA5JF KO4BUR
Station: AA5JF

Class: 1D HP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 18

  160:    2
  80:  42      7
  40:  173    104
  20:  277    321      1
  15:  70    19
  10:    8
    6:
    2:
  222:
  432:
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
Total:  572    451      1  Total Score = 1,597

Club: ARC of Augusta

Comments:

Fun family Field Day, with air-conditioning, an amplifier, and a bed. First
field day for son KO4BUR; not like my first field-day, but probably more fun.
Having a big signal (well, relatively speaking) is the sine qua non for
introducing radiosport to kids, as that allows them to do the easiest and
immediately addicting part, running the station on phone.