[SECC] Club Competition

Jeff Clarke ku8e at ku8e.com
Tue Nov 10 13:53:57 EST 2020

Back when I lived in Ohio I was a long time member (and president a
couple times in the 1990's) of the Mad River Radio Club. Sometime in the
1980's the activity in the club was lacking and some disgruntled members
formed the North Coast Contesters. Does this sound familiar? The same
thing happened here when the Alabama Contest Group, Georgia Contest
Group and Swamp Fox Contest Group were formed. The South East Contest
Club is actually just a former shell of itself.  For those that are new
the South East Contest Club won the Sweepstakes medium category club
competition a couple times in the early 2000's.

See below the entries for each club submitted (posted on 3830) for 2020
CW Sweepstakes : SECC -
https://www.3830scores.com/currecscores.php?arg=JUccv3zbmyvqp

  GCG - https://www.3830scores.com/currecscores.php?arg=JUccv3zbmyvqp

  ACG - https://www.3830scores.com/currecscores.php?arg=JUccv3zbmyvqp

Swamp Fox - https://www.3830scores.com/currecscores.php?arg=JUccv3zbmyvqp

All though there were some big scores posted (especially in SECC and
GCG) the activity by all these clubs was pretty underwhelming. I
calculated if the SECC and GCG had submitted one club entry (as either
GCG or SECC) we would've had 1,612,542 points for just CW weekend. If
you add in what might happen in SSB weekend this could turn out to be a
pretty good club score. If you look at
https://contest-clubs.arrl.org/viewlists.php which lists all the
eligible members for each club you will also find that there are many
that still belong to the SECC and these other clubs with the exception
of ACG. K4BAI is the only SECC member that still belongs to ACG and no
one in Alabama is in SECC anymore.

Back to the Mad River Radio Club story...  After awhile the two clubs
figured out they had different interests. The members of North Coast
Contesters found they were more interested in DX contests while the MRRC
was more into domestic contests. So they made a deal that members of
both clubs would submit their DX contest results for NCC and domestic
contest scores for MRRC. They continue to do this today. I'm wondering
if there might be an interest in doing something similar here? Form the
ARRL club list I found out I'm both of member of GCG in addition the
SECC.  So what if we made a deal that dual members would say submit
their scores for GCG and domestic contests for SECC? This doesn't have
to be set in stone and can agreed on every year.  I don't think there is
any animosity between members of these different clubs. Plus there are
no rules that say you can't belong to more than one club.

I'm interesting in hearing some feedback.

Jeff KU8E