[SECC] SECC Posts

kt4zb at aol.com kt4zb at aol.com
Wed Nov 11 11:22:42 EST 2020

Wow! Someone turned on the SECC reflector. It's really good to see so much activity. Instead of writing a very long post I thought I would do two or three.
First, I would like to mention what has been good about the SECC for me. I got my license in 1996 and even though I wanted to be a ham since I had been a teenager, I was 53 years old when I finally did it. After 2 or 3 years making some contacts, I've found that I really liked contesting even though I only had 100 W and a dipole antenna on an in-town lot in Savannah, Georgia. At some point, John, K4BAI, invited me to join the SECC and encouraged me to contribute scores. He also invited me to attend the Atlanta Hamfest and meet some of the other SECC members. My memory is pretty vague but Rick, NQ4I, invited me to participate at his station for the 2004 CQ WW even though I had little or no experience as a serious contestor. This was a huge awakening for me as I was introduced to big-time antennas, radios, amplifiers, and folks that spend 48 hours enjoying their love of ham radio. John and Rick became my contesting Elmers and I owe so much of my success to their encouragement.
I never met W4AN, but he lives in my log and I was honored to use his callsign as a bonus station passing out around 800+ Qs during this past Georgia QSO Party. Other folks that I met through SECC activities include VE7ZO, W4DD, KU8E, N4OX, K4PK, W1AR, K5ZM and N4IX. Additional memories include the Ham Cruises organized by in NQ4I and his XYL from Fort Lauderdale to Nassau. I can't even imagine what Nassau must be like during COVID 19.
As a result of this wonderful relationship with the SECC, I have long been active in the Coastal Amateur Radio Society in Savannah and tend to act as their Contest Elmer. We have done several multi-single contests from my location and it's been just as much fun as those weekends with Rick.
And then there's Kevan, N4XL, the guy who lives on the wrong side of the river. I have tried everything I could to "Elmer" him with little success. I provided him with numerous operating tips, strategies on what time to be which band, logging and antenna suggestions and even when to take breaks. Alas, he continued to fall far short of my plentiful scores. I fear that there is little hope in the SECC for that Swamp Rat. LOL.
Physical limitations have curtailed my contesting activity. I will describe the station rebuild in my next post.
Jere, KT4ZB