[SECC] [CQ-Contest] Rule Changes for the CQ WW WPX SSB and CW Contests in 2021

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Tue Nov 17 07:43:34 EST 2020

> On Nov 16, 2020, at 7:10 PM, John Laney <k4bai at att.net> wrote:

> The Single Operator Classic Overlay categories will continue to prohibit the
> use of QSO alerting systems and should be considered by       participants
> preferring to be unassisted. Also, the maximum operating time for Single
> Operator Classic Overlay participants has been reduced from 36 to 24 hours.
> Further, the Multi-Operator Single Transmitter High and Low Power Classic
> Overlay categories have been removed from the rules.

OK, I understand, although I don’t necessarily agree with the rule changes — except for this one.

Why restrict the SO Classic Overlay to 24 hours? That would seem to either a) limit activity, or b) drive people to not participate in the SO Classic Overlay.

Spotting assistance isn’t a huge deal in WPX, since it is largely a rate contest.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
Web: http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901