[SECC] Fwd: [DDCC] Save the Date: DDCC Zoom™ Presentation -- Takeoff Angles & HF Terrain Analysis (HFTA) by Kevan Nason N4XL

Kevan Nason knason00 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 19:28:06 EST 2020

If you operate HF and do not understand take off angles and that local
terrain around you can affect them, your signal strength at the other end
of the path is the result of pure luck. It is particularly important to
Contesters and DXers. If you already know that, then there likely isn't
anything new here for you. If you've never seen what High Frequency Terrain
Analysis (HFTA) can tell you, then please join in. The presentation
discusses how I made a decision between a 50 and 70 foot tower, but is also
applicable in deciding whether it's worthwhile to try and get that 35 foot
high dipole further up in a tree or what spacing to use for stacked
monobanders. Wouldn't it be nice to have a clue ahead of time before you
tried? YT and HFTA were once considered by many to be just a mildly
interesting prediction tool. It has become so trusted that some are using
it to analyze expected HF performance before buying their dream home. You
may never use HFTA, but general knowledge of how things work tends to help
success in many subtle ways.

Kevan N4XL