[SECC] FW: CQWW CW W4DD SOSB10 HP

Jeff (W4DD) w4dd09 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 16:21:33 EST 2020

It's amazing what a little Solar Flux will do.  Friday it was at 106 and
trending up.  Today (Monday) it is 116.

Friday:  10M band dead, nothing to work.

Saturday: A little EU around 9AM.  Worked everything I could not knowing if
it would be better or worse on Sunday.  Worked the ZM4T and a couple of VK's
in the late afternoon.

Sunday: I could hear the east coast working EU and a half an hour later it
opened up for us.  Worked a good assortment of EU's (F, DL, G, I, etc) and
had a little run going for about an hour.  As usual, Sunday afternoon was
real slow.

Best DX worked: 5T, 7Q, V5, 9H1, and in the pacific VK, ZL, KH6 (several),
FK

Best part of contest: EU finally opened after years of silence.  Was able to
work some pretty weak stations.

Best surprises:

The 7Q was calling CQ and had a REALLY BIG pile-up I could not bust.  He
left for a little while, but I left a reminder up to check on him just in
case he returned.  When he came back, I was the only caller.  Easyyyyy

The FM5 was calling CQ next to me.  Easy..

The 9H1 answered my CQ

Not so good: Despite the Power company fixing several power pole noise
issues to the east that hosed the CQWW SSB contest, a couple still remain.
I worked through them on Saturday, but on Sunday it put a 3 S unit damper on
my morning EU run.  Every so often it would clear up for a minute and things
would be great, only to return.  All this from a road that had been pretty
trouble free for years.  The road is about a half mile from my QTH and runs
from NE to SE, pretty important directions.  My apologies to all the EU's
that I requested fills from.  If I can get that direction cleaned up,
perhaps my base noise level will be half as good as WW4LL's.  I was there
about a month ago for a visit and couldn't hear a single power pole buzz
(using AM mode) no matter what direction his top antenna was pointed !
Nada, nothing !  Lucky guy.  He has a great location for contesting and some
great hardware.

Jeff, W4DD