[SECC] [nd7j] FCC Soil Conductivity Map

Kevan Nason knason00 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 09:16:31 EDT 2020

It likely is bad, but maybe not as bad as it sounds. When I was preparing
to improve my low band antennas I ran across this chart from
http://radio-timetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/06/field-strength-calculations-ground.html

[image: image.png]

Included it in a presentation on verticals. When I gave it to the Dutch
Fork ARC here in SC heard another story about how things vary. A ham said
he put up a vertical and had great results. A friend living just a few
miles away copied the same installation and didn't do nearly as well. The
first guy did some digging. He discovered that despite his living in a "2"
region like you, he happened to be in a sweet spot and conductivity much
higher. Maybe you'll get lucky too.

By the way, the gist of my presentation is try it. Despite people telling
me verticals don't work well, I'm doing reasonably well now. To paraphrase
K9YC: Don’t let your inability to make a perfect antenna prevent you from
making an effective one. I decided to view things this way... If you
eliminate as much loss as you can in the near field you will have more RF
energy going into the far field and a much stronger signal coming out after
those losses.

Kevan N4XL