[SECC] 2021 Georgia QSO Party

Stephen Walls swalls46 at att.net
Fri Jan 8 07:59:36 EST 2021

 Jeff,
I'm a recent participant----last 3-5 years-----Phone only.
I like the roll back to 2019 rules----go for it.
I would play FT8 if it were available,  I don't expect it for GQP, and that is not a problem.
Thanks for your hard work ----Steve   K4ELI
PS----I am slowly working on CW skills------I am a 'code' General from the late 70s and never used it then.    Its hard going for an 'ole man.

    On Thursday, January 7, 2021, 08:35:15 PM EST, ku8e <ku8e at ku8e.com> wrote:

 Bill
I don't worry about software developers changes because I have a program I wrote that calculates the score of everyones log. I could post something on the N1MM reflector and they would make changes in a couple days.
Personally I don't think it matters to most people if we count multipliers once or per mode. CQP counts multipliers only once and it doesn't hurt their activity. After feedback I'm thinking of just rolling back the rules to what we had in 2019, before COVID-19.
Jeff

-------- Original message --------From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr at arrl.net> Date: 1/7/21 6:51 PM (GMT-05:00) To: Jeff Clarke <ku8e at ku8e.com> Cc: secc <secc at contesting.com> Subject: Re: [SECC] 2021 Georgia QSO Party
I’ll give you more feedback, even though anything I say is going to be reluctant to change and predictable.

If you read my message carefully, you’ll see that I did not offer opinions on any of the rule changes other than the first. So, here’s more.

- The Multi-op rule seems a practical response to the Covid-19 situation.

- Consider carefully the magnitude of the change in scoring for bonus stations. I agree that we don’t want someone to win just because they worked just the bonus stations. That’s anathema to the spirit of the contest. A one-time bonus does make more sense in that light. Is 500 points the right value? What’s the typical number of points people earned in the past? Perhaps something close to the average number of points for those working bonus stations. You have the data to figure out what that might be.

Making this change does have the problem that the software authors won’t have time to make the scoring change.

- And I’ll return to the question of counting multipliers once for each mode — what is the purpose of making this change? You failed to explain that. Know the purpose of the change is important (more on that in a bit)

I thought my response was carefully thought out that any comparison between Mixed and CW or Phone scores is immaterial since they are in different categories. Having the possibility of dual multipliers adds a layer of strategy to the Mixed entries that the single-mode folks done have.

And, I’ll reiterate that making the change gives little time for software authors to make scoring changes.

OH, and since we are speaking of rule changes, it is a little odd that we only allow CW and Phone operations. Digital contacts are very popular, what with RTTY, PSK and FTx. Should we consider allowing digital operations?

—

On the subject of rule changes, let me give you a story of my experience as a Taekwondo referee. Back in 2018, World Taekwondo (WT) made some rule changes for Kyorugi (sparring) to try to make it less boring. A lot of fighters were striking and clinching, waiting for the referee to break them and re-start. I refereed some matches like this, one where a couple of kids clinched over 60 times in a 3-minute match. Boring.

WT changed the rules and said that referees should wait 10 seconds before breaking the clinch. This was to give the athletes time to resolve the clinch on their own. This largely worked, but those that weren’t willing to resolve, it made MORE boring.

Then they changed the rules so that any kind of clinch was considered a holding/grabbing penalty. Athletes didn’t like that, because it was hard to break their old habits. I had one match in North Carolina where two very experienced athletes received about five penalties each. And the result was also boring. Then they allowed certain types of clinches, but others were holding. Then they changed it again.

In the end, they adopted a rule that was pretty much like the old one — giving the referees some discretion to break early (so those ahead don’t force a clinch to try to run out the clock like with the 10 seconds), or letting the athletes work it out if there are indications they are resolving it.

But it certainly made it hard for both athletes and referees because they kept changing the rules every couple of months.

Moral: Rule changes should be considered and adopted with extreme care.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net