[SECC] 2021 GQP

Jeff Clarke ku8e at ku8e.com
Sun Jan 10 18:02:18 EST 2021

Jere,

Thanks for your activity on SSB. Unfortunately it's not a good use of
time to operate SSB when you're a mobile because signals are weaker than
on SSB.  The good thing for us is GA is located in a good area of the US
for propagation on 20 meters to high population areas. A 20 meter mobile
antenna will give you a louder signal than say on 75 or 40 meters. I've
been thinking it might be a good idea to add a rover class where you
drive to different locations and setup a real antenna on a temporary
mast. The rover class we have now with people using mobile antennas
would be renamed as a "mobile " class. The only other way to get more
activity on SSB is for people to get on the air from fixed stations.
Right now the main attraction after out-of-state stations have worked
all the fixed GA stations is to chase the rovers driving around GA,
which mainly do CW.

Jeff