[SECC] Headset Recommendation?

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Sun Jan 17 19:46:20 EST 2021

I have my choice of three at the moment: Heil Proset with HC-4 element, Yamaha CM500, Koss SB45.

The Proset has been uncomfortable until I recently replaced the ear pads with Brainwavz replacements. Wore it for 10 hours straight (well, almost) on Saturday and no problems.

One problem I have with the Proset is that it isn’t very sensitive. I have to run the Mic gain up a bit, and it tends to trip the VOX when I’m breathing or when I move. Annoying.

The CM500 and SB45 are very similar. Comfort level is the same, both are quite wearable. The CM500 has a much better mic boom, with a fully adjustable gooseneck. The SB45 has a wimpier boom mount that must be bent to adjust. It tends to vibrate like a Vibroplex key when I turn my head.

Both require mic bias, so far as I can determine. The CM500 has a HUGE amount of output — it way over-drives my K2. With the K3 or other radios that have continuously adjustable Mic gain, probably not a problem.

The CM500 and SB45 are high-fidelity headsets, so your radio might sound a bit different.

I have a problem with these headsets and the K2 QSK. It causes a low-frequency “thump” when switching. With a communications headset, the response is so down in this area you don’t notice. But on the CM500, and to a lessor degree on the SB45, you can “feel” that thump after an hour or so.

That said, I’d recommend the CM500. It’s half the price of the Proset and just as capable. You may need to adjust things to fit your radio.