[SEDXC] FT/T update

thompson@mindspring.com thompson@mindspring.com
Sat, 5 Aug 2000 22:13:35 -0400

Easy bands are 40 CW, 40 SSB, and 20 SSB.  On 40 SSB they are hard to read
at times due to the nightly static and they peak at 45 degrees here rather
than 75 degrees.  But first call on 40 CW and SSB.   They were tough to read
on 18145 when KS4Q worked them
but at 0500Z they were solid 5/7 and easy there.   Last night they were
reported on 24945 working W6 long path and although commercial sigs were on
the band nil here.

75 is tough from my QTH.  MY two antennas have a null for FR/T (half square
N/S and sloping dipole on 45 degrees).  They are louder on the sloping
dipole as it comes from the top of my tower to a tree in the front yard but
comes within a few feet of the gutter in the front and the feed point is
just 10 feet off the roof.   I plan on moving this to a tall tree and slope
it at 75 degrees and make it have a 30 degree slope.
The problem is they are S5 early and the QRN is low, but by 0100Z the QRN
comes up to S9+ on the antennas and S7 on the receiving antenna.  They break
S7 on the TX antennas and S6 on the receiving antenna but one transmission
is Ok and then nothing for the next.  I also note they seem to vary in freq
by + - 100hz and that makes it tough.  I did have the dipole antenna totally
vertical (Gary K9AY saw this) but my yard men broke the support rope while
cleaning the gutters.....

Heard K4PI make it on 75 yesterday......

73 Dave K4JRB