[SEDXC] DX IS

Gary Breed gary@noblepub.com
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 17:40:10 -0500

I just got the nicest QSL card and note from Richard, G0LPF.

Two weeks ago, I was casually operating 40M, checking the rig,
antenna and condx for the upcoming ARRL DX contest. I called
"CQ DX" and worked a nice string of European stations.  One of
them was G0LPF, who was very weak but readable. I got Richard's
basic information, then he proceeded to tell me I was his first-
ever US station on 40. I assumed he was new ham or hadn't been
on the band much.

He immediately sent a QSL direct. On his QSL, and he notes that he
has been trying to work the US on 40 for "a long time." He has a
good radio, but is very antenna-challenged, with a poor ground-
mounted vertical of some sort.

Of course, I was pleased to know that I was the first US ham able
to HEAR his signals (I put up a 360 foot Beverage optimized for 40
just for the contest) -- but I found myself even happier knowing
that I had made someone else's day just by showing up on the air
and listening carefully.

I still appreciate 1.5 kW, a beam and a thousand QSOs of just
"5NNKW" but this one casual QSO was pretty cool, too!

73, Gary
K9AY