[SEDXC] K3J early operation

David L. Thompson thompson@mindspring.com
Sat, 15 Sep 2001 18:14:40 -0400

K3J's first full day of operation was Friday.  The operation seemed to go
alright on 10SSB and 15SSB (and today on 17 CW) but the 17 meter SSB op left
something to be desired.   I called for about 25 minutes with 100 watts
using the voice keyer.  He was S5 one transmission and S8 to 9 the next.  I
heard many East coast stations calling as well as many Europeans but the op
seemed to not hear too well.  Harry W4KJ was called weak and W4CJ..same for
a K9 (S1 sent).   He was even having problems copying the west coast at
times
even tho he had good signals.  VK3Ew told me he heard me over the din many
times and he and other VK's never did get through.

QRM was very heavy and he tuned only 5 Khz altho he worked stations above
and below his so called listening frequencies.  There were many comments
about his operation on DX summit from east coast, midwest and EU.    He did
take calls by the numbers before I arrived
so hopefully he was just having an off day or maybe he was having local QRM.

C21XU was also having problems on 17 SSB (18145) and finally got mad at EU
ops.

Dave K4JRB