[SEDXC] Automation

Carl wb4znh@megapipe.net
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 21:21:48 -0400

Thought some of you might be interested in some software that I have =
found and installed.  It is a suite of programs called DXLAB.  It is =
free and downloads from http://www.qsl.net/dxlab There are installation =
instructions on the pages of the different programs.  It is very =
resource hoggish.  A fellow Woodbridge Wireless member gave a program at =
a club meeting on this package and his recommendation was 512 Mb of Ram. =
 I built a 1.8 Ghz P4 using Rambus memory and I am very pleased with the =
result (hence this note.).  I bought and installed a SIIG multi-port =
card that gives me 4 additional serial ports, a video card that supports =
2 monitors (I have resolution set at 1280x1024.  This gets everything on =
the two monitors with large enough type that these old eyes can read =
it), a Rotor-EZ interface board for the Tailtwister and next is a =
Rigblaster for PSK and RTTY.

Displayed on my screen is Commander, which controls my radio (IC-756) =
much more smoothly than the radios controls; DXKeeper, which is the =
logbook; Spotcollecter, the DX Packet Cluster; DXView, shows headings =
and map with sunrise/sunset and great circle paths, and controls the =
rotor.  Winwarbler and Pathfinder are PSK/RTTY and Qsl information =
programs.

When I have this up and running, I can double click on a packet spot and =
my radio goes to that frequency and mode, even setting split and dual =
receive at times, the information is enter into my logbook and DXView =
tells me what country, beam heading, shows the path and when I click the =
SP or LP button the antenna turns to the appropriate heading.  If I lose =
interest, I just pick another, but if I work the guy, all I have to do =
is click the LOG button and presto he is in the log.  A few mouse clicks =
and all I have to do is break the pileup.  It really takes the work out =
of DXing.  I understand that DX4Win is a commercially available program =
that does similar stuff.  73, Carl WB4ZNH

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---