[SEDXC] K4JRB Antenna/tower project

David L. Thompson thompson@mindspring.com
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 01:45:42 -0400

Thanks for the many suggestions.   I have gone through all the ideas and
looked at many towers and antennas.   I have eliminated several towers and
antenna types:

1.    Trylon and AN Wireless Towers because they require a big load of
concrete for the base and with all the problems I had with EPD over my
septic system EPD would never approve such a base.

2.    Big crank ups such as the HDX 489 as they too require about twice the
base that I now have for my
71 foot crank up.  Plus the are out of range of my budget now that I am on
disability.   I need to save a few $$$ for my St. Simons home.

3.    Quads.   I have used and like quads but its hard to stack a 40 meter
beam over a big quad and a quad with 40 meter is just too big for my yard
with all the trees.

4.    Big mono banders.  I had a stack of KLM's in 1981 and found the KT34XA
was nearly the equal
although I was (as I mentioned in the first post) I have never been happy
with 15 meter performance.
Years ago I put up mono banders (I had a 7 el 10 that was a killer and held
the NA WPX record for 8 years) but going to fixed tower will end that
possibility.

What I am leaning toward is 80 or 90 feet of Rohn 45 with a single section
of Rohn 25 as the mast.  I plan on keeping the 40 meter beam so must decide
on something for 20/17/15/12/10 meters.  I also plan on putting up a 5 or 6
el 6 meter beam.  I will put a 2 meter antenna on top to replace the
ISOPOLE.  I have a MFJ phase 5/8 wave antenna that looks good but I want to
put it up at 50 feet to see if its that much better than my current broom
stick 1/2 vertical dipole.  I will take the broom stick dipole to St.
Simons.

Its too band Cushcraft quit making the X9 (there is one for sale in Cumming
but he wants too much) so there is one less antenna to put in the mix.   I
will run all the models I am reviewing thru my modeling program that I got
from Dave Fischer W7FB, NC7W, Ex W0MHS.   The N0AX/K7LXC study seemed to
miss a proper evaluation of the KT34XA.  This will let me run all the
antennas against Georgia soil
and at a height as noted above.   I have a bunch of info from Log periodic
guru K4EWG to add to the mix.  K6MYC provided some M2 info on the KT36XA and
I am waiting on F2 info on say the 5BA.  I don't see swinging a C31XR
although this appears to be a winner on 10 and 15.  I would like to hear
about 20 meter performance compared to say the KT34XA or TH-11.

73 Dave K4JRB