[SEDXC] Comments on the VP6DI Dxpedition

Carl Henson cdenverh@hotmail.com
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 11:43:07 -0500

I am severely disappointed in the DX community for their treatment of the
VP6DI operation.
I listened to all the policemen, jammers and frustrated DXers vent on the
transmit frequency.  It was disgusting.
Many of operators were inexperienced, but were using good operating practise
on their end.  The DXers trying to work them have obviously been spoiled by
most recent major DXpeditions being run by not only experienced operators,
but world class contest operators.  The insane procedure of continuing to
call when a partial call has been answered that does not even vaguely
resemble your own call is destructive and slows down the entire operation.
I identified several well known DXers gabbing on the transmit frequency and
not identifying.  The habit of changing your callsign in your TNC and
sending "unidentified" derogatory comments about the DXpedition, its
operators, and even idiots in the pileup is both illegal and damaging to
Amateur Radio.
I know the idiots are in the minority, but scum floats to the top as well as
cream.
Finally, I would like to suggest that the system-operators of the packet
cluster try to watch for those bogus callsigns such as N0QRM and if they
show on your cluster, block them out.

73,
Carl WB4ZNH