[SEDXC] More VP6 Ducie

David L. Thompson thompson@mindspring.com
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 00:03:12 -0500

Worked them on 10, 15, 20, and 40.  N9TK came in 17 SSB late one night
(early morning even) and worked two per district ...he had just finished 4's
when I got there.  Europeans calling without stop caused him to QRT so only
a handful worked them on 17 SSB.  They did work about 100 USA stations on 17
CW.  On 12 I could not raise the VP6 YL even tho she was 58 with peaks to 59
early last weekend.  The next few times she was spotted was well after the
band was closed here.  And I brought the Henry 2K up (A ZL said I was 20DB
over with the amp).  The little ICOM 740 is a great rig but the past two
years everyone has brought out the amps so its hard to work them barefoot
now until the pile up thins out..  Too band my first 300 on 17 were barefoot
and I probably have 300 on 12 barefoot.   When a signal is 599+ or 59+ the
FCC rules require the minimum power necessary to make the contact.  Wish we
could at least make 12 and 17 set to 250 watts like 30 meters!  But due to
competition the Henry 2K will probably be switched on for the rare ones.

The gang is wrapping up tonight and packing up at daybreak which will be
about 1500Z 26 March.  If they fix the 80 meter vertical they will be on 75
SSB.

Now if Ed P5/4L4FN can get paperwork approval I will only need BS7H (I
worked the first one who does not count).

73 Dave K4JRB