[SEDXC] Virus problems

David L. Thompson thompson@mindspring.com
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 12:16:14 -0400

The klez and new bugbear virus continue to be received and caught by Norton.
The klez virus is sent to appear that it comes from someone in your address
book but this is just a ploy.  The virus looks at the address book of the
infected PC and sends e-mails back to you and I based on the sent and
received address.  We have no idea who is infected and if you track the
e-mail back beyond the first address its a fake address. (and the actual
sent address is over 50 characters long).  So please don't send a message to
the person telling them they are infected.  I got messages from my sister
and from a OH station that indicted a log was attached.  The log is from a
message but the virus is a second hidden attachment.

The second (and real problem I had) was Norton failed to catch a worm that I
finally got rid of last night.  On recommendation of Earthlink support I ran
many of the fixes and the bugbear fix found the worm (and then blew out!).
At least I then found that Norton anti virus ran Ok after this (it was
stopped).  The scan found and deleted the PWS.Hooker.trojan that Norton did
not catch.  The only problem I have it deleted the internet security portion
of Norton.  On this PC I run W95 Version 2 so only Norton 2001 will work.  I
have to find a way to get the software back as I do not have the original
CD-ROM.  I ran an update 45 days ago but trying to determine if the update
(run again) will re-install security (firewalls).

Just be careful.

73 Dave K4JRB