[SEDXC] Georgia QSO Party

John Laney k4bai at worldnet.att.net
Fri Apr 11 14:54:02 EDT 2003

Hello all:

I have sent e-mail reminders to everyone who submitted a log for GQP in
2000, 2001, and 2002 and who has a good e-mail address listed on
QRZ.COM.  If time permits tonight, I will do the same for 1999.  I think
the word has gotten out pretty well (but don't let that keep you from
reminding your friends on your address lists).

We should have a fair shot at having all (or almost all) of the counties
active in this contest.  The secret to having a lot of fun in a state
QSO Party is to have a lot of activity in the "target" state.  This is
our chance to show that Georgia is "radioactive."  Please do what you
can to be QRV near the suggested frequencies this weekend from 2 PM to
midnight on Sat and 10 AM to 8 PM on Sunday and encourage your friends
to do likewise.  Exchange is RS/RST and GA county vs RS/RST and
state/province/country (or "DX").

Please don't just answer other stations who call CQ GA, but call CQ GQP
or CQ Contest yourselves, and this will stir up interest even among hams
who have not read about it in advance.  Keep this webpage address handy
so you can refer those you work who might want more information:
http://gqp.contesting.com.  There are a lot of neat things on this
webpage.  The results from last year are there along with this year's
rules, a list of plaques and certificates to be awarded (we have awards
for QRP, LP, and HP categories), a list of our 159 Ga counties and their
"official" abbreviations, a summary sheet for use with paper logs, a
list of expected routes to be run by rovers/mobiles, and information on
GQP modules for the NA, TR, and Writelog logging programs.  I was also
surprised to find that there is a link to where you can download a
freeware version of the NA logging program designed for GQP and a few
other contests.

Remember that you can work each station on each band 80, 40, 20, 15, and
10 and once on CW and once on SSB on each of those bands.  Multipliers
(US states and Canadian areas) are counted once on CW and once on SSB
(not per band though).  Mobiles and rovers can be worked again on each
band and mode in each county they operate from.

Mobiles known about at this time are K4BAI/M (with KU8E), WW4LL, N4PN,
NY4N, K4MUT, and possibly AA4GA.  It is possible that we may have
activity from all 159 counties this weekend.  Probably it would be
impossible for someone to work every county in one contest, but we hope
to make it at least possible.

Your help and your QSOs will be appreciated by everyone concerned.
After you know what your claimed score is, you might post it to the 3830
reflector or let the rest of us know by posting it on the SEDXC/SECC
reflectors.

Hope everyone has a safe and fun weekend and many QSOs.  Let's really
put Ga on the radio map this weekend.

The SECC/SEDXC members outside Ga would no doubt want me to remind you
all to be sure to work 40 and 80 where possible so they won't be left
out by longer skip on the higher bands.  And on the higher bands, listen
for ground wave or backscatter signals as these hams attempt to make
QSOs into Ga under less than optimum conditions.  Jeff and I will not
have an 80-meter antenna, so look for us only on 40, 20, 15, and 10.
However, don't overlook 80 meters.  Last year there was substantial
activity on that band after dark.  That will be particularly the case if
we get long skip on 40 as we have had a lot lately.

The last few years in GQP and other state QSO parties have found a lot
of European stations calling trying to make QSOs and work new counties.
Be sure to listen for DX stations as well.

73,

John, K4BAI.