[SEDXC] Questions on 6 meter DX

David L. Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 4 00:36:32 EDT 2003

This past week I kept the FT 920 on 6 meters while I worked on the CQ 160
Logs.  Watching DX summit I found about 25% of the DX spots.   I noticed
K4EA working Europe and my little 4 el at 10 feet over the roof ( 2 story so
about 35 feet up).   I heard one of the stations he worked at S4 when he
gave S7 which is OK but the others were not even a whisper.  The Beam is
fixed at 45 degrees and I can switch between it and my 40 meter beam I have
used in the past.

The biggest surprise was trying to hear CY9A.  He was spotted many times on
50106 but except for one burst of CW at 339 I never heard him.  VE1 came in
several times but NADA on the CY9A.   One day about 2300Z I heard K4PI and
others working him (even on SSB) but nothing on either antennas.  Later
WA4NJP in Gainesville was working him on SSB and told him he was loud.  I
asked Wa4NJP if he was on the frequency and he said yes just point NE (where
I was pointing).  He then said he was 599 on CW (they had a beacon).   I
listened for a while and finally heard the short burst at 339.

Is this common on 6 meters?   I was working W6 and 7 during the ARRL June
VHF and a local who has a good antenna broke in and asked how loud they were
as he could just copy them.

73 Dave K4JRB