[SEDXC] K4BAI Curacao trip - Nov 25 - Dec 2, 2003

John Laney k4bai at worldnet.att.net
Mon Nov 24 16:07:22 EST 2003

Hello all:

I will be leaving home about 3 AM tomorrow, Tuesday, November 25, 2003
and taking a Groome Bus to the Atlanta airport where I have an 8:05
American flight to Miami and a change there to an American flight to
Curacao.  I should arrive 2:43 PM local time.  I think that is 3:43 PM
EDT.  It will take some time to get luggage, etc. and the airport is
about an hour's drive from the PJ2T station.  I may be QRV by late
afternoon Tuesday and certainly will be QRV whenever possible before and
after CQ WW CW as PJ2/K4BAI.  Hope to work many of you.  As usual, I
will be mostly CW, but if you need a band or mode, please let me know
and I'll see if I can QSY to it.  We have a new 100 watt six meter rig
there also and I understand it has been QRV with some of the other guys
using it.  I will not be staying at the station (but about .4 mile away
in a hotel), so I will not be QRV as much as I have been when by myself
in Barbados.  I will be trying to learn Writelog.  (Any suggestions,
K4OGG, or others using Writelog?  I have used CT and NA extensively for
15 years or more, but have never seen Writelog.  I will not be receiving
e-mails down there this time.

Whenever possible, I will check in to the Ga Section Net (GSN) on 3593
khz at 7 and 10 PM EDT.  If you hear me there, just check in (QNI) and
ask for a QSO with me and the NCS will move us off frequency.  Of
course, Friday and Saturday nights, we will be in the contest and not on
the nets.

We are hoping for a chance at an all time record in the multi-two
category.  We should have two stations QRV on two open bands all the
time and will be listening on the other bands for mults.  We can QSY ten
times in an hour with each station, so we may be going QRT suddenly to
change to another band for multipliers.  Propagation predictions seem to
favor stations near the Equator this time, but that doesn't mean that it
will be easy for us to beat the record set by A61AJ last year.

Other ops are Steve, N8BJQ, Jeff, K8ND, Don, K8MFO, Leo, S50R, Geoff,
W0CG/PJ2DX, and W8WTS.  Don, Jeff, and Geoff have been down there
working hard on getting everything ready and Jeff and Don have also been
making QSOs.  Don also is having to learn Writelog.  Leo was one of the
ops at A61AJ last year, so he is trying to beat his own record.

Tom, W2SC, will be QRV from the QTH that I have rented in Barbados.  I
assume he will sign 8P5A, but he also occasionally uses 8P1A and his
non-contest call is 8P9JG.   N5TJ, Jeff, will be QRV from KP3Z.  I think
both of these will be SO2R, so they will have a good chance to beat my
NA continental record.  I have never had SO2R from anywhere except W4AN.

Hope everyone will get on the air this weekend, make as many QSOs as
possible, and submit the scores for SECC.

Please call if you hear me.

73,

John, K4BAI.