BLamboley at aol.com
BLamboley at aol.com
Fri Dec 31 08:39:20 EST 2004
QST at 0300 Z on Dec 31
1. VU4RBI continues to operate from Port Blair Sinclairs Hotel with
emergency messages, but no DX calls can now be taken. Bharathi is going to
use her regularly scheduled departure ticked on its original date... the
best way to get an airline seat...on Jan. 1, 2005.
2. Other VU operators will remain on the Islands and continue the emergency
traffic for as long as it takes. More VU operators are traveling to Andaman
to help out soon.
3. One of the VU4NRO stations is dispatched to one of the hardest hit
Nicobar Islands and is relaying out emergency traffic from that devastated
4. The other NRO station is again operational in the college dorm. They
also are passing emergency traffic.
5. Around 0400 Z/UTC today Dec. 31, NRO will transmit slow scan TV pictures
on 14.190 +-. These are photos from around the Islands and affected areas
there. Any station is free to tune in and copy these TV pictures.
6. Let me again be clear about my status re VU4.... I served as a helper on
this DXpedition and at all times tried to be sure it was an INDIA effort,
not some foreigner's. That same fact prevailed as soon as the earthquake
hit...that is, I helped and obverved, and took photos. It was clear from
the time just after the quake onward that the INDIA hams had the situation
completely handled and were immediately effective as emergency
communicators. Further, these India operators speak the locaol languages,
which I do not, further reason for me to only be an observer. I took my
regularly scheduled air ticket date to depart Andaman... the only way I
could get a ticket and reasoned that I could relay whatever Andaman traffic
from my HS0ZCW station. That I did and continue to do.
7. Feel free to give my Thailand telephone number to anyone who wants it...
Hams all over the affected area in multiple countries are stepping in and
helping. It is a very gratifying international effort by hundreds of
volunteer hams. I am proud of ham radio, again, today.
Let us hope for a better New Year..... 73
k4vud at hotmail.com
More information about the SEDXC