[SEDXC] Desecheo and Navassa legislation....

MAllphin@aol.com MAllphin at aol.com
Fri Apr 1 08:02:24 EST 2005

Dear SEDXC members,

    In case you missed this the first time around, I am resending it to the
reflector.  It is time to get on with it.  If you haven't taken the time to
write your congressman about this, then please do it in the next week.  I and
others will be in Washingon next week to brief congressman and staff on the
proposed legislation.
    We need your help. Please read below about H.R. 1183 and write your
letters.
Also pass on to your HAM buddy list and maybe we can get this job done.
Thanks
in advance for your help.

Bob K4UEE

We need your assistance in passing H.R. 1183, a bill in Congress that will
reopen Desecheo (KP5/IOTA NA-095) and Navassa (KP1/IOTA NA-098) islands in
the
Caribbean.
H.R. 1183 succeeds H.R. 298, the House bill introduced in January by
Congressman Nick Rahall of West Virginia. We contacted you about '298 a few
weeks ago.
However, conservationists have objected to '298 because it would have
required opening the Farallon Islands (IOTA NA-178) off California's coast.
Fortunately, Congressman Rahall is committed to opening Desecheo and Navassa
and he
introduced H.R. 1183 on March 9, naming only Desecheo and Navassa islands as
the
subjects of the bill.
Please take five minutes to contact your Congressman to ask him or her to
COSPONSOR and VOTE FOR "H.R. 1183." Sample e-mail language and contact
information for your Congressman are available at www.kp1-5.com. This
nonpartisan bill
would correct the Fish and Wildlife Service's wrongful closure of these
islands. Even if you have Desecheo and Navassa confirmed, you can help others
who
still need these entities by contacting your Congressman.
Please visit our web site www.kp1-5.com for more information.
73, Mike Thomas NA5U
The KP1-5 Project