[SEDXC] Mr. DX W1FH alive and well

David Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 7 17:31:53 EST 2005

Charlie Mellen, W1FH is alive and well and just renewed his license.
Charlie was the best known Dxer in the USA in the 1940's and 50's.
He earned the title of Mr. DX.

I met Charlie in 1983 at the W1 DXCC Dinner while I was in Boston working
from Wang.  Charlie gave me a hug to the astonishment of the W1 DX gang.  We
spent long hours chasing Dx together on 20 and became good friends.  Like
several others (ZL2GX, PY2CK) Charlie retired from DXCC about 1970 (he was
the top of the honor roll on both CW and Phone).  By the way, the speakers
at the W1 DXCC Dinner were Carl and Martha Henson.

I looked him up and he is listed at the same address as in my old 1956 Call
Book.

Ham it up Charlie!

73 Dave K4JRB