[SEDXC] Towers in Cherokee County

JT Croteau jt.w6fo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 12:07:17 EDT 2005

Now that I'm settled here in Canton after my move here from So Cal.,
I'm starting the planning process for my first tower.

Does anyone know of any major restrictions in Cherokee county, or
specific to the city of Canton, that would prevent me from erecting a
tower?  Would there be any special permits I'd need to pull before I
begin building?

I have a pretty decent hilltop location so I am probably going to with
something short.  I am currently thinking of 50' of 25G bracketed to
the house with a base section cemented in the ground.  Antenna will
most likely be a Force 12 DX'er or something similar in size and I'll
probably put a 40M rotatable dipole on top of this.
With the backyard then clear of wires, I'll then put up an 80M
vertical and have plenty of room for a nice counterpoise system.

My current antenna works fine for the most part and certainly works ok
DX barefooted but it's just not the same as a beam.  Presently, I am
running a 135' doublet fed with 600-ohm ladder line in an inverted vee
configuration with the center somewhere between 50' and 60' with the
ends only 6' to 10' off the ground.

Thanks guys.

- JT { W6FO - debating switching to a 4-land call. }