[SEDXC] KP1 & KP5

Ernie Zingleman ks4q at zingleman.com
Sun Oct 23 19:03:54 EDT 2005

The below is from the Ohio/Penn DX Bulletin.  I urge all DXers to contact their congressman on this issue.
If you send the letter to the group's address (below) in Alexandria, they will hand deliver your letter
to your congressman...which I think is better than email or even by mail as most mail to Washington DC
congressional offices is delayed.

Ernie KS4Q

Use the text or something similar to what is found at this web address:

http://www.kp1-5.com/contactrep.html
*****
Written Letters
We will deliver your hard copy letter to your Representative in Washington, D.C. Use the sample e-mails above as a guide to writing your letter. Sign your letter and include your mailing address and NINE-digit zip code. Make a copy of the letter for your file, then send the original to:

KP1-5 Project
P.O. Box 150232
Alexandria, VA 22315

We will hand deliver your letter to your Congressman on Capitol Hill.

****************

KP1-5 PROJECT UPDATE. Bradley, K4RT, sent out a press release indicating
that the House Committee on Resources on October 19th approved H.R. 1183,
the bill that, if passed into law, would reopen Navassa (KP1 / IOTA NA-098)
and Desecheo (KP5 / IOTA NA-095) Islands to limited public access, and
potentially renewed Amateur Radio operations from those islands. The
press release also states: "H.R. 1183 was among eleven bills listed on a
Unanimous Consent Agreement under which the Committee merely asked for
objections to each bill before consenting to approval.  No objections were
voiced in regard to H.R. 1183. KP1-5 Project Director Mike Thomas, NA5U,
said H.R. 1183 was approved because scores of Amateur Radio operators wrote
and called their Congressmen. 'Hams taking two or three minutes to write or
call their Congressmen moved this bill to approval,' he said. Thomas said
the hard work begins now. 'Even if you've already sent an e-mail, a fax, a
letter or called on the phone, doing it again will be immensely helpful in
moving the bill to the House floor for a vote,' said Thomas. A legal brief
available at http://www.kp1-5.com/pdf/1st-appeal.pdf, addresses the
applicable law and facts in the Desecheo and Navassa situation in detail.
'If you read the legal brief, I guarantee that you will want to call or
write your Congressman right away,' Thomas said. Thomas said Congress must
hear from hams again now that the Committee on Resources has approved H.R.
1183. 'If we don't send a new message to Congress to move the bill to the
House floor, the Fish and Wildlife Service will keep Desecheo and Navassa
closed for many years to come,' he said." Contact Mike Thomas, NA5U at:
                   (817) 777-1321 OR NA5U at KP1-5.COM
Also, visit the KP1-5 Project Web page at:   http://kp1-5.com