[SEDXC] [SECC] Amateur Radio Antenna "CC&R Bill" Reintroduced in Congress

David Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Tue Sep 27 12:37:00 EDT 2005

Last time this was introduced I sent letters to both Senators and my
Representative (Who is now a Senator).  Zell Miller was in favor but the
other two just gave me the line "I favor amateur radio but support
restricting towers."  The main reason is that towers lowered the property
values.

I sent both a follow up saying that owned houses in both Mississippi and
Georgia that appreciated in value by over 50%.  My current house has
appreciated in value (at that time) by almost 200%.  The Senator who was
defeated in his reelection bid told me this was very valuable info.  I spoke
with the current District 6 Represenative at one of his town hall meetings
and he also gave me the Home Owners Association answer.
Last year I also found that in addition to restricting antennas (of any
type) they tended to prohibit any transmitting.  One ham was in his yard of
a Peachtree Corners subdivision when a HOA VP stopped by to say his 2 meter
hand held was "illegal."  I bought a boom mic set from a ham in a
subdivision next to Buford Dam in Forysth County.  The lots are between 1.5
and 3 acres. He was advised to remove his HF vertical mounted in his back
yard (hidden from view except for one neighbor).  He now uses attic
antennas.  They had also asked him to take his Dish Network dish down...they
told him to get cable!  When he pulled the law (PRB2 as I recall) they said
take us to court.  His dish is in his attic now.

Unfortunately it may be too late for several reasons:

1.    Virtually every subdivision in the past 25 years has the same CC&R's.
All subdivisions in the past 15 have them.

2.    Most mortgage companies and Banks require these CC&R's to be put in
place by the developer BEFORE they provide financing! The builder and real
estate agent just pass along the bad news.  You can try to modify the CC&R's
(on a new house) but probably what will happen is the agent will tell you to
look elsewhere.

Dave K4JRB