[SEDXC] Building Permits for Tower Bases

JT Croteau jt.w6fo at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 10:44:40 EDT 2006

For those who don't know, I am in the process of restoring the 55'
Height's crankup that was once on Jack Hague's, K4DN, property.  I
hope to get it back in the air before the end of the year.

I'm waiting to hear back from Jim Altman on this but also wanted to
share it with the group as well in case anyone else has any insight.

According to the city ordinances for Canton, because this tower is
under 70' tall and being used by a licensed amateur radio operator, I
am exempt from the entire article in the section of code perataing to
tower installations.  This article covers everything from permit
process, set-backs, visual impact, etc.  Therefore, I believe all I
need, before going forward with construction, is a building permit
because I will be pouring a concrete footing.

This morning I vertically set in place on the lawn the bottom section
of tower in a few spots to kind of figure out where the best spot on
my property will be for the tower.  The ideal spot for my use, and to
meet the YL's visual apperance, is a spot 16' from the fence
seperating me from my closest neighbor.  This got me to thinking...

My question to Jim, therefore, was:

I am clearly exempt from the section of code pertaining to set-backs
for tower installations.  However, will this 16' from my neighbor
throw up any red flags with the building inspector when I go to apply
for the building permit for the footing?

Now, I've seen towers installed closer to property lines than this
before so I'm not really sure.  I'm just trying to cover all my bases
before I start asking the city questions.  I am trying to keep a very
low profile until all my ducks are in a row.

Thanks

--
 JT Croteau - W6FO - Canton, GA
 ARS #2,147 | NoGA-QRP | SEDXC | SECC | ARRL