[SEDXC] Homebrew Amps

John Harden, D.M.D. jhdmd at bellsouth.net
Sat Sep 23 10:39:54 EDT 2006

JT,

I have built a lot of gear from scratch over the last 45 - 50 years. If
you do it's important to have a well stocked "junk box". If you buy the
parts new it can be prohibitively expensive. There are many sources of
surplus and used parts.

Even the hardware can be expensive (screws, nuts, lockwashers,
insulators, rubber grommets, etc.). I keep a whole array of assorted
hardware.

One possibility is a one-band, solid state amplifier. It is easy to
build. I built a solid state 40 meter CW transceiver around 1975 with
assorted RTL, TTL circuits and individual transistors. It had a 2 watt
output. Then I built a 30 watt solid state amplifier using an MRF-449A
(Motorola). I still have it today. It works fine.

As a teenager I built a speech amplifier and 811A modulator from scratch
along with the HV power supply. That was the only way I could afford it.
I used a military surplus transformer for the plate modulation
transformer.

Look at QST December 2005 for the "Superpacker HF Amplifier", and at QST
December 1975 for "Slippers for the HW-7 transceiver". With an MRF-450A
you can get 50 watts out with 2 watts drive with the latter amplifier.

73,

John, W4NU