[SEDXC] 80m antenna ideas?

John Harden, D.M.D. jhdmd at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 12 17:44:37 EST 2007

Grant,

I have used two 1/2 waves for many years in a half-square configuration. The
two are about 100 feet apart. The far end is grounded at the base, and one
end is the feed end. It is commonly called the "Inverted U", and was first
describe by K8RRH in QST in the Minooka Special article by W9UCW.

Basically you go up 50 - 60 ft, out 100 ft, & then down 50 - 60 feet. There
is a radial system at each end. Again the far end is grounded. At the feed
end is an inductor and a 1000 pfd vacuum variable. It is bi-directional on
80/75 and more or less omni on 160. K4TEA also has one up and has used it
successfully on 160 for years with superior results. It does work well on
80/75.

However, the best 80/75antenna I have ever used is the M-Square 80/75
rotateable dipole that I have at 100 feet. It is around 94 feet long with a
switch box to go from fone to CW. It is the bottom antenna under a full size
Telrex 40 and an M-Square 6 el 15. The antennas are 6 feet apart and all
work well with no noticeable interaction.

73,

John, W4NU
Atlanta