[SEDXC] Contest Scoring

John Harden, D.M.D. jhdmd at bellsouth.net
Sat Jun 23 09:32:46 EDT 2007

I well remember the conflict between SSB & AM. The AM boys used to call
SSB "Donald Duck" as most of them had such poor receivers that they were
not able to tune in and hold a SSB signal. Of course many of the SSB
signals were homebrew and pretty sorry in terms of stability, carrier
suppression, etc.

I first heard a "good" SSB station over at K4RPK's station around 1960.
He had the Collins 75S-1/32S-1 combination. K4TEA & I were over at his
QTH in SW Atlanta. At that time the KWM-2 transceiver cost around
$1200.00!! Few could afford that. It was like buying a Ford or
Chevrolet.

I still prefer CW as I've been using it for 48 years. It's still the
MAINSTAY for DX even today. To me the digital modes are just a "toy"
like VHF and UHF. Amateur radio has many facets, and there is enough out
there to keep us all happy with our respective interests.

One interest I have is homebrewing equipment from scratch. At one time
most hams did a lot of it. Today hardly any do it. However, it's still a
viable alternative today as many of the chips available will replace a
whole chassis of yesteryear. The sky is the limit!!

73,

John, W4NU
(K4JAG 1959 to 1998)