[SEDXC] Contest Scoring

Jeff Carter sedxc at hidden-valley.com
Mon Jun 25 02:17:04 EDT 2007

On Friday June 22 2007 04:45, Tommy wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> When I first read your post, my first impression was that you were trying
> to stir up controversy rather than get an unanswerable question discussed;
> I'm not sure now that I was entirely incorrect with that impression.

Well, the answers seemed to indicate that when viewed as a communication
"protocol" (think TCP/IP) it takes roughly twice as long to set
up/communicate/tear down a CW circuit than it does a SSB one.  Taking this as
true, it makes the scoring more equitable to do it this way.  In other words,
rather than being exclusionary to the number of hams that no longer speak
Morse, it is an attempt to be fair to everybody, and nobody can argue with
that.  The question *was* answered, from several viewpoints, and in my view
it was answered quite well.

> Your photo on QRZ insinuates you are connected somehow with football?

I'm a member of the Society of Broadcast Engineers and I participate in the
NFL Frequency Coordination program.  I do field engineering for the National
Football League, basically.  To use a ARS example, it's a rough equivalent of
what repeater coordinators do, if repeater coordinators did their entire
database over from scratch fifteen times a year or so, and had to contend
with primary, secondary, and tertiary users of the same spectra.

I've missed one Atlanta home game in ten years, and you may have noticed me on
the sidelines of Tennessee, Philadelphia, or Cincinnati, too, if you just
happened to be scanning for bored engineers.

> You said in one of your latter post that you thanked everyone who responded
> to you and you gained some information/knowledge from those responses to
> you. So why do you select one particular response to respond to publically
> and defend yourself?

Because, as you said, I felt it was important to thank those who provided
enlightenment on the real reason for the point differential (fairness) and it
was likewise important to answer those who seemed to have real questions in
return, like you have.  It seemed to me that I shouldn't ask questions if I
weren't willing to answer them in return.  The one response to which you
refer ended up being a misunderstanding, and there's no ill will on either
side.  I've conversed with the gentleman at length in private email, he's a
good guy by my lights.  I believe he originally thought I was going for the
One Millionth CW Is Awful posting, and I think I've gotten him to understand
that this wasn't the case at all.

My first license was in 1992 in the Tech reshuffling, and for 15 or so years I
listened to how I wasn't a "Real Ham" because of a rule change I knew nothing
about.  Then in February, because I am an engineer, and the code barrier was
removed, it was simple to upgrade to Extra, but the online Ham community was
up in arms again against folks who were merely following the law after a rule
change.  I have been totally confused by this just as I was in 1992, and
confused by the torch-and-pitchfork position taken by the online Ham
community when I had expected a sense of joy on behalf of the community that
the Tech contingent (the largest by number, still today) would begin to
spread out a bit and replace the SK folks, of which there were pages and
pages in QST.  It doesn't take much to imagine that *all* of our positions
are stronger if there are more folks who are licensed in the ARS.  Every
voice in the choir is important, in other words.

I largely ignored things said in 1992 because I was only a Tech after all, but
now I'm an Extra and I don't think it behooves anyone with the highest class
of license to be ignorant about any facet of the hobby that he/she should
reasonably be expected to know, and so to this end I had decided to ask for
the snippets that I don't possess.  You could largely expect Elmer
functionality from an Extra.  I always did, anyway.  It works this way in
almost any organization or hobby with different levels, and I'd expect a
Master Mason to know things an Entered Apprentice wouldn't know, to extend
the analogy to another well known brotherhood.

It was never my intention to offend anybody, and I really do believe that
everything that needs to be said about how awful and unfair the removal of
the CW requirement was has been said at least 100 times over.  Nothing in any
of my posts was a rehash of that tired argument, but I do think it's time
that we begin to talk to each other minus the vitriol and at minimum provide
a more welcoming atmosphere to folks who have upgraded, not all of whom are
CBers but have real technical/engineering skillsets to bring to the table.
We're going to know electrical engineering but we're not going to know, for
example, why we're seemingly penalized in contests for not knowing Morse.
Asking the question gained me the knowledge that it doesn't have anything to
do with me at all, it's an effort to be fair to what is after all a slower
comm protocol in terms of actual clock minutes.

When you look at systems like APRS and Telpac that have been implemented
largely on VHF and places where real innovations in the hobby have occurred,
much of it has been spearheaded by No Code Techs with engineering
backgrounds.  We've gotta keep those people.  What might they be able to do
for us on HF?  Riley Hollingsworth pointed out at Dayton that the vast
majority of his actions go against Advanced and General licensees, not Techs.
We need law-abiding, innovative, and involved folks to come in and stay,
because they create the backbones of things we'll all use and they'll become
the Elder Statesmen when we're gone.

The reflector exists for discussion and edification/education, and it was to
this end that I sought to use it.  I was successful, because I got a big
handful of good information.  Anything else is a matter of interpretation of
writing style; if you found mine offensive, I can only apologize and point
out that no slight was intended.  The general tone of the reflector has
always been friendly in my view, and I came in peace as a friend who just
didn't happen to know what was going on with this particular issue, and who
was willing to learn.

I hope I have answered all your questions because that was my intent; if not,
please resend.  Those of you to whom I have not responded personally, the
note of thanks I sent was meant for you.

If it is not a breach of protocol, I'd like to publically thank Chaz/W4GKF for
his willingness to sponsor me in joining the club on the basis of a few off
the cuff reflector questions.  I appreciated that, and my application has
been forwarded for review.

Jeff/KD4RBG