[SEDXC] Tower Question

Jeff Carter sedxc at hidden-valley.com
Mon Jun 25 17:14:45 EDT 2007

Hello again all:

One of the recurring themes of ARS lore is that it's incredibly important to
spend your effort/time/money in your antenna system rather than anywhere
else.  If you're interested in DX, the antenna system is the way to go,
according to the literature.

To this end, I want a good antenna system.  I've hit a logjam, though, because
although I've been able to get the pieces to the puzzle, I can't quite settle
on how to proceed.

What I have so far:

A Tri-Ex 71' Crank Up Tower

http://168.28.186.6/techshop/cfp/tower/tower.htm

A Cushcraft A4S

(no pix, but I've ordered the rebuild kit from Cushcraft)

No rotor/thrust bearing/whatever yet

There are a dozen sites that lovingly detail the installation of a tower, but
while they are all similar they are all different, too.  My tower, as you can
see from the pictures, is older and is thus no longer supported by
engineering drawings.  The closest thing seems to be the LM-470, but the
detail in the engineering drawings for the base isn't really clear to me.

Is there a site I've missed that has good newbie tower base information?  The
only time I ever did concrete was putting up 12' satellite dishes...this is a
quantum leap, and I'm very aware that once I've poured 4 yds of concrete,
it's forever.

I'd be particularly interested in the experiences of anyone who has put up a
similar tower.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff/KD4RBG