[SEDXC] Spectrogram Resource & FT-2000 Test Update

Don Nesbitt drnesbitt at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 19 17:55:14 EST 2007

I've had a number of requests for more information on the Spectrogram
software program that I used to show filter characteristics and do my "quick
and dirty MDS" test on John's rig during the "Merry-Go-Round Radios"
presentation at our last meeting.

The last "free" version of Spectrogram (version 5.1.7) can be downloaded
from Tom Hammond's (N0SS) site at:  http://www.n0ss.net/index_k2.html  You
can also find it on a number of other sites - a google search will show you
some alternatives.  While limited, the free version will do everything that
I demonstrated at the meeting and more.

On Tom's site, the download is a little more than half way down the page.
While Tom's application is primarily directed toward setting up the filters
on the Elecraft K2, his general discussion is appropriate for use with most
any rig.

The latest "paid for" version of Spectrogram costs $49.95 and has lots of
additional functionality.  You can find it at:
http://www.visualizationsoftware.com/gram.html

When using Spectrogram please keep in mind that it is audio and its
usefullness is limited by the dynamic range of your sound card as well as
the noise floor of your computer.  In general, do not exceed about -30 db at
the top of your trace for most computers.

Also be aware that there may be various shaping circuits in the audio
section of the receiver under test (transceiver in our demo).  For those of
you who were at the meeting, you may recall that the SSB filters in John's
rig showed a rather pronounced downward slope instead of a nice flat plateau
that was seen on the K2.  I'm guessing that it was because there was some
audio filtering in the headphone line which is where the audio was being
taken off.  If the "external speaker" jack on the rear of the radio had been
used (I should have done that!), I suspect the filter shape would have
looked much different!

By the same token, it is fun to examine the effects of various shaping
options in the rig as well as IF shift, notch and peaking functions, etc.
Have fun with it.

Bottom line is to try to get as close to an "unshaped" output as possible
and keep the trace relatively low if you simply want a quick look at the
filters.

FT-2000 Check Ride

Those of you who were at the meeting saw the rather dramatic difference
between the close in 2 kHz 3rd Order Intercept Point in the FT-2000 when
compared to the FTDX-9000, Icom IC-7800, and TenTec Orion II.  For the
FT-2000, the point was more than 40 dbm down from the IC-7800 and the Orion
II.  That's a pretty miserable number!

It is important to keep in mind that the 3rd Order Intercept Point is
generally NOT a "measured" number.  It is extrapolated based on other
measurements.  A number of years ago, Lloyd Butler (VK5BR) wrote a nice
explanation of Intermodulation that included a simple explanation of the 3rd
Order Intercept Point.  It is worth reading (of course there are many other
sources that present great information - again - google it - you will find
Tom's site as well - www.w8ji.com).  Lloyd's piece can be found at:

http://users.tpg.com.au/ldbutler/Intermodulation.htm

The question is - does this make any difference in actual practice - on the
air - in the "real" world, etc?

Tad (WF4W) did a great job in his comparison of his FT-2000 to his FT-1000MP
Mark V.  Now the really great part is that he "rented" his FT-2000 to me for
a week while he was away on business.  This time, the price was right -
free!  I spent an average of 7 hours a day for 6 days, ABCDing the FT-2000
with my Orion II, modified and INRADed Mark V, and K2  under lots of
conditions including about 8 hours in the SSB DX contest.  Now, your mileage
may vary but I have to say that in spite of the dismal 3rd Order Intercept
Point numbers posted by the FT-2000, I really can't say that it caused the
radio to perform badly.  In my "real world" of poor antennas and high noise,
it was a non issue.  In spite of some rock crushing signals in the DX
contest, I didn't notice any artifacts being generated in the radio that
were not just the usual "crud in the passband" from 40 over nine signals
close by.  The same crud was there in the Orion II, the K2 and the Mark V.
In your environment it might be different but hey - if your radio isn't
generating it in the rf and mixer stages, and the other guy (or gal) is
putting crud in your passband, it's in your passband!

Of course being the curmudgeon that I am, I will have to say that while that
radio certainly has knob power, they are pretty small and awfully close
together.  Electronically, its got some really nice features - like the
variable contour control - this is excellent!

Check with Tad to see when he is going out of town again ;-)

73 es gud dxing -- Don N4HH