[SEDXC] BS7H Press Release Number 11

n4xp at juno.com n4xp at juno.com
Tue May 1 12:10:44 EDT 2007

An update from James Brooks received at 0300 local our time this morning
where he attempted to provide us insight on the overall situation and
ended it with:    "It's just that hard"

It is now day 3 on Scarborough with operations going for 48 hours.

All 4 operating positions are built and the team has gone from survival
in route, to survival while building, to survival while in QSO mode.

Everyone on the team has cuts from the coral.  The closest access to any
of the rocks is over coral and no one has been spared coral scrapes and
cuts.  Add to that over 100 degree heat and sunburn and you have a
dangerous environment for all.

 During the day each shift is 6 hours in heat and a dry wind under a
small umbrella.  If you are lucky enough you get to operate at  night.
You are left on a rock for 13 hours barely 4 feet above the water in
pitch black sitting in a folding chair, no where to walk  and stretch and
getting a constant salt spray.  You can't see the other rocks nor the
ship and if something goes wrong there is no
 chance of rescue.

 The steppIR verticals and one Yagi are up.  Two stations will stay on 20
mtrs while the other two will search 15, 17, 30 and 40 for  openings.

So as you sit there in your comfy shack complaining on the cluster and
sending us Emails about your lack of a QSO and the do's and don'ts, think
what our team is going through to bring you "the chance of a QSO".

Here is just a sampling of our fan mail received today:

"fIVE YEARS PLAnning you did a shitty job we cant hear you on the east
coast you shoud have gotton info from n8s they did a great job at least
you heard them you guys keep working ja's and w6's thats all your going
to get the east coast i guess is off limmits you wount get any donation
from me or any one else on the east coast you guys are the worst go to 11
meters you might have better lush"

GL and we wish you the best in the upcoming days.

N4XP and N1DG for the team on Scarborough Reef