[SEDXC] Meeting Attendance

Victor Wasilov ki4hpx at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 13:34:16 EST 2007

I'm a new member and have read with interest some of the comments on this
topic. I can understand that it can be painful to drive to Marietta or
anywhere north of 285 if one lives in the city. For me to attend a meeting
at the current location requires a 50-mile round trip and at best 90 minutes
stuck in Atlanta traffic. At $3.00 plus per gallon of gas, the program
better be really good if I'm going to invest the time and money.

I also heard that the value the club brings is the sponsorship of DX
expeditions.

Well it looks like regardless of where the meetings are held there will be
some members that will not attend or if the location is moved, some will
stop attending the meetings.

As for sponsoring or contributing to Expeditions, well, people can always
donate money directly to the expedition if they really need and want that DX
location. They don't need to a member of any club to help in that regard.
There are other clubs that specialize in contesting so that's not really an
attraction.

There is always the knowledge that one is a member of a long established and
well-respected DX club. That has value and will attract some new members but
will not necessarily build attendance.

That leaves only one option. That's to improve the programs in such a way
that people will want to attend more than you want them to come. You also
have to be visibly active in the community to drive a desire to participate.
For instance having a weekly net focusing not on check-ins but on what's
happening in the DX world. There are many new General Class Hams out there
but their looking for mentors and a place to discuss and learn. The website
is a good start but doesn't build the community required for participation.

While location, location, location may be the first step in building a
successful business; it's quality programs that draw people to meetings.
They will travel if the program is good and is promoted. The N. Fulton club
draws people from Paulding County on a regular basis. They are willing to
travel, because the programs are good, relevant, and a community spirit
exists that is actively promoted.

I'll get off of my soapbox now. Thanks for putting up with my ramblings.
--
Victor, KI4HPX

www.ki4hpx.net