[SEDXC] ARRL Election

Hal Kennedy halken at comcast.net
Fri Oct 5 14:48:14 EDT 2007

Well, the ballot came in the mail today, and I would appreciate
anybody's thoughts on who to vote for - I sure don't know.

In their prepared credentials statements that arrived with the ballot, I
noticed nobody mentioned contesting and only W4OZK mentioned DX'ing.
Sandy, W4RU, mentioned the Southeastern VHF Society - which was
primarily a contest club, and he is a 'complimentary' member of SEDXC,
but does not hold DXCC.  Greg, W4OZK mentions he operates - including DX
- but he does not hold DXCC.  It's troubling to me to see only two of
six candidates hold DXCC.  Unless I missed it, nobody mentions their
education.  I'll assume they all have at least a GED.

A little research:

                                    DXCC                3830 Postings

W4STB                         322                               zip

WA4PUP                      zip                                zip

W4OZK                         zip                                zip

AA4MI                          243                               zip

WA4AW                       zip                                zip

W4RU                           zip                                4

I realize being an SCM, training for Katrina, etc. is a key part of the
hobby - in fact I guess it comes first.  Meanwhile, the most popular
activity at ARRL is DXCC and so by definition it requires some attention
at the director level.  Contesting is not nearly as popular (an
understatement) but contesters have the training and stations to
contribute a lot when emergencies arise - understanding their value
could help a director fulfill his responsibilities.  Also, the DXCC
program and contest programs at ARRL often could use a little boost from
the league's directors.  Deleting contest results from QST is a possible
example of emphasis placed elsewhere.

Sorry - just staring at this ballot and rambling mindlessly.

73, Hal

N4GG (Curmudgeon at large without portfolio)