[SEDXC] SE Division Director candidate Greg Sarratt, W4OZK...some insights...

MAllphin at aol.com MAllphin at aol.com
Mon Oct 15 16:32:51 EDT 2007

SEDXC members and other interested parties.....

   Recently there was some discussion on this reflector about  who/which
candidates for ARRL Director would  best represent the interests  of not only the
general amateur population in the SE Division, but DXers in  particular.
   I contacted Fred Duran, W4NKI, President of the Birmingham DX  Club in
order to get his opinion of Greg Sarratt, W4OZK, one of the candidates  who lives
in Huntsville.
   Below is a copy of his recent comments:

This is in further regard to our recent telephone discussion
on the  election of a new ARRL Director for the Southeastern
Director.  We in  the Birmingham DX Club (BDXC) feel strongly
that Greg Sarratt, W4OZK, from Harvest, AL is the best  candidate
for the position.

Many of us have had an opportunity to get to  know Greg over
the past few years.  As you may know, for a number of  years the
BDXC has hosted both formal and informal dinners with various
ARRL officials during the BirminghamFests in the Spring of each
year.  These have usually included Frank Butler, W4RH, the
retiring  Director; Bill Moore, NC1L, the DXCC Manager and Larry
Price, W4RA, the IARU  President who both have attended most
recent BirminghamFests; and Sandy  Donahue, W4RU, the Vice
Director.  For about the past five years Greg,  W4OZK, has also
attended these dinners.  During these affairs, he has  had the
opportunity to get to know many of our local DXers, to learn
about their interests and become knowledgeable of many DX
activities.

>From the other side of the coin, many of us had the
opportunity to get to know Greg well, and we all believe he has
acquired  a lot of DX knowledge and that he would be very
effective in representing  our DX interests within ARRL.  He
personally is not an avid DXer, but  we think he would be
receptive to inputs and suggestions from active DXers  in his
Division and that he would actively promote these views within
the ARRL.

Greg is a very active ham operator and works professionally  in
the technical electronics field in Huntsville.  He is well
respected in the ARRL for leading the Emergency Communications
effort  from Montgomery for several weeks during the Katrina
storm emergency.   This past work should give him some extra
clout in performing the Director's  job at ARRL Headquarters.

Summarizing, we highly recommend Greg voting  for Greg for the
Director's position for the reasons discussed.  We  believe he
would do a good job in representing the DXers in his Division.
In addition, it would be nice to have a Director who is only
100-150  miles away from most Alabama/Georgia DXers, rather than
being several  hundred miles away as are the other candidates.
Also, we are confident the  members of the North Alabama DX Club
in Huntsville share our support for  Greg.

73, Fred, W4NKI
President
Birmingham DX  Club